As we continue to remain in lock down following the Victorian Government’s announcement, we understand that studying during this pandemic and lockdown can be challenging. Please check out the below information for the different types of support available to you at this time.

Financial Support 

The Federal and Victorian Government have released information on the COVID-19 Disaster Payment if you were employed prior to the lockdown and your employment has been affected due to the current lockdown. To receive the COVID-19 Disaster Payment, you will need to see if you meet the eligibility criteria. To start the process and to put a request in to lodge a claim for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment, all International Students are required to call the Australian Government Emergency Line on 180 22 66 and submit a verbal claim. 


If you have lost 20 or more hours of work, you could receive up to $750 if you are eligible. If you have lost less than 20 hours of work, you can receive $450 if you are eligible. For more information please visit COVID-19 Payment Information



If you are concerned about your rental payments, the Tenants Victoria website has links to some different organisations that can provide support during this time. Unfortunately, the Victorian Government’s rent relief grant is no longer available, therefore we recommend if you are experiencing these difficulties, to contact your real estate agent or landlord to discuss your situation. 


Ask Izzy is also a great website to check out for support relating to housing, food, money help, support and counselling and much more. 


Household Energy and Gas Bills 

If you require assistance in paying your energy bill, Victorian Energy Saver provides advice on what to do and where to go to for help. You are recommended to contact your Energy Provider and ask to speak to their Hardship Team who will then discuss your assistance options with you (such as paying it off in smaller more manageable amounts or delaying payment of your bill). It is important to know that you have rights to assistance when it comes to paying your bills, and you can find out more about this on the Essential Services Commission website.


Mental Health 

Mental Health support is important for our students so that you are able to manage your studies during this lockdown. 

Lifeline – 13 11 14

National Coronavirus Helpline – 1800 020 080

Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636

Kids Helpline – 1800 15 1800 (For young people up to age 25)

Griefline - 1300 845 745


Food Hampers 

Our students are able to access food hampers or meals from the following services. Please use these resources for anyone who needs assistance. International students who are struggling can check out the Foodbank’s International Student Pop-Up Store to access free and healthy food every Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10:00am – 2:00pm (excluding public holidays). You can also check out the Study Melbourne Student Centre website to find support closer to your home.


Please stay safe and if necessary, seek further information by calling the Australian Government Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.

Have any other questions about support? Please reach out to your Student Experience Team who can help if you have any questions regarding the above!