ALG Cancellation Policy and Procedure
Students who wish to cancel their enrolment with ALG need to complete an online Course Cancellation Form. Once a Course Cancellation Form is submitted by the student, a ticket is created on Zendesk.
Ticket sample: CAN-1234 Student Services - Course Cancellation Request Student First Name, Last Name
1. Find the student in RTOM with the email address provided by the student in the form
2. Check which course the student wishes to cancel
3. Check whether the student intends to complete the current term. If yes, and the request is approved, this is considered a FUTURE CANCELLATION.
4. Check whether the student has an outstanding balance in RTOM.
- As a condition of cancellation, students must ensure all outstanding fees are paid. Outstanding fees may include tuition fees and/or additional fees owing.
- If the student has an outstanding balance for the current or past term, the cancellation request is rejected. Respond to students with the rejection template in Zendesk.
Find the course and check the payment schedule
5. Check whether the student has received any ITR (non-payment/unsatisfactory attendance ITR/unsatisfactory course progress ITR) within 20 working days in RTOM Dairy.
- If the student has received an ITR within 20 working days, the student should take action according to the ITR email, cancellation request is rejected. Respond to the student with the rejection template on Zendesk.
Go to Diary and check if the student received an ITR email
ITR EMAIL SUBJECT
- ITR for Non-payment
- ITR for Unsatisfactory (NYS) Attendance
- ITR for Unsatisfactory (NYS) Course Progress
6. Assess the reason for cancelling and the supporting evidence
|Reason for Cancelling||Supporting Evidence||Outcome||Policies and Procedures|
Transfer to a new education provider
AFTER completing 6 months of the principal course
|Signed Letter of Offer from the new education provider||Approve||A student is allowed to transfer to another education provider after completing 6 months of the principal course.|
Transfer to a new education provider
PRIOR to completing 6 months of the principal course.
Transfer to a new education provider
PRIOR to completing 6 months of the principal course due to medical reasons and physically not being able to participate in the course
Assess case by case – review medical documents
Also, suggest other suitable courses in ALG to transfer within ALG
Transfer to a new education provider PRIOR to completing 6 months of the principal course, but transferring to a higher AQF level course (e.g. Bachelor's Degree course, Master course, or PHD)
|Signed Letter of Offer from the new provider||Approve||
|Transfer to a new education provider AFTER completing 6 months of the principal course, but transferring to a lower AQF level course (e.g. changing from a Diploma course to a Certificate course)||Reject||
|Change of Visa||Evidence of the new visa or evidence of new visa application||Approve||If the student is on Bridging Visa A (BVA), the BVA only comes into effect until the student visa period has concluded. Student Visa holders are bound to comply with the Student Visa Condition 8202 to meet course entry requirements.|
|Visa not Granted||Visa Refusal with Decision Record Letter from IMMI||Approve||not required to pay the $250 Cancellation Fee|
|Relocation (in Australia)||
* Signed Letter of Offer from the new education provider
* evidence of relocation (e.g. flight ticket, property rental, job offer letter)
|Approve||If ALG interstate campuses are offering the same course, the request is REJECTED.|
|Leaving Australia (emergency travel, returning home permanently)||
* Flight ticket
* Death certificate ( if the student is returning home due to the bereavement of a close family member)
- As the principal course of study is generally the final course of study covered by the overseas student’s visa, transfer requirements apply to all courses of study prior to the overseas student’s principal course.
- Registered providers must not knowingly enroll an overseas student wishing to transfer from another registered provider’s course prior to the overseas student completing six months of their principal course of study, except in certain circumstances.
- If the students have two courses on the same level (e.g., 2 Certificate IV courses or 2 Diploma courses, the principal course is the first course. Refer to page 7 of How to Manage Student Transfers in PRISMS:
- If student did not provide efficient support evidence for cancellation request, ask student to provide it within 3 days with below response template in Zendesk
7. A. If the cancellation request is rejected, send the rejection notification with the following template in Zendesk:
B. If the outcome is approved, leave a note for Education Support Team via Zendesk Internal Note and request for the student's Statement of Attainment (SOA) before you update the system - RTOM, PRISMS, Canvas.
1. Update the Course Status and Course Finish Date in RTOM
If the student is cancelling the current/deferred/suspended course
Update course status -- change the current course status from ‘Current Student/Deferred/Suspension to ‘Withdrawn’
Update course finish date -- change the course finish date to the date you are cancelling the CoE.
If the student is also enrolled in subsequent course/s (future course/s)
- Update course status -- change the subsequent/future course status from ‘Enrolled/Conditional Enrolment’ to ‘Cancelled’
- Update course finish date -- change the course finish date to the same as the course start date.
2. Update subject/s in RTOM via Result
- If the student is cancelling a current course and indicates on the cancellation form that the student is not intending to complete the current term, update the current subject/s result as "Withdraw (WD)"
- if the student is intending to complete the current term, leave the current term subject result as it is.
- If the student is enrolled in future subject/s, delete the subject/s.
3. Notify Finance Team to update the student's payment schedule in RTOM
- Request the finance team to remove future payments scheduled in RTOM for the current course as well as all future courses. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the screenshot of the invoices to be removed via Zendesk Side conversation of the cancelation request ticket.
- Once the Finance Team removes all the future payment schedules, update the "total tuition fee charged" to the "actual tuition fee charged" for the duration they studied.
4. Update Canvas
- If the student does not intend to finish the current term, conclude the student's subject in Canvas
- Find the student in Canvas with the Student ID
Suspend the student's account in Canvas
5. Update CoE in PRISMS
Find the student in PRISMS with Student's Name (or passport number)
Open the CoE to be updated
Add a course variation
Current course CoE -- cancel the student's CoE based on the cancellation reason
Reason for Course Variation -> Termination of Student Studies Prior to Completing the Course
- Student left the provider to transfer to a new provider
- Student notifies the cessation of studies
- Student's actual last day of study – the date cancellation request got approved
- Subsequent courses CoE -- to be cancelled for “Non-commencement of studies”
- Download the copy of cancelled CoE
6. Record the Cancellation in RTOM
Upload the cancelled CoE in RTOM via "Upload" in the CoE folder
7. Add notes in "Interview"
Record all the information related to the cancellation (reason for cancellation, new provider's name, any feedback from the student, etc.)
8. Respond to the student with the outcome of the cancellation request
If the outcome is approved, respond to the student with the cancellation letter in RTOM, and attach the cancelled CoE to the email.
Select the cancelled course
Add the cancellation ticket name to the email subject
Attach the cancelled CoE/s, copy the agent to the email then send
9. Once the Confirmation of Cancellation email is sent via RTOM, respond to the student via Zendesk with the following template. DO NOT FORGET to CC the agent.
Print and save the Zendesk email trail
Create a Suspension folder in the Upload button in RTOM with the following format "Cancellation Request CAN-XXXX", then save the revised document/s (LoO, CoE), Zendesk email trail, and other supporting evidence/documents including the VEVO check to the folder.
*** Check whether the student is eligible for a refund. If students have paid for the term they are not going to study, they are eligible for a refund.
A. If the student is eligible for a refund, check the refund amount
- Joining fee – non-refundable
- Tuition fee – can be refunded if the student did not commence the course/term
B. Process the refund
- Ask the student to provide bank details for a refund via the template on Zendesk.
C. Once bank details and refund option are received, send a refund request to Finance Team
- Complete ALG Refund Log and generate the refund slip
- Add student details to the tab "ALG Refund Log"
- Generate the refund slip from the tab "Refund Slip" and save a copy
- Send a copy of the refund slip to email@example.com via side conversation
Releasing the Student from PRISMS
If we approve the cancellation request from a student who did not complete 6 months of study, we need to release the student in PRISMS.
- Release in PRISMS: A student can be released in PRISMS only if they have settled all outstanding fees and provided a signed Letter of Offer from the new provider.
- When releasing a student in PRISMS, please record details in the comments section. For example; "Student requested to withdraw from the course after completing the 6 months of the principal course as he/she wants to change his/her career path. The reason stated in his/her application fall within the training provider's cancellation policy, as such ALG has approved the request and granted release.